Facts You Need to Know Right Now When Your Child or Teen Needs Deodorant
Does it seem that children are requiring deodorant younger and younger these days? Or are we just more aware of personal hygiene? Is it hormones taking over earlier in their bodies? Either way I am surprised lately by how many parents come to me asking if our natural deodorant is safe for their school ager (as young as age 5!) and for their teenagers.
I actually had a friend just today tell me that her son's whole soccer team of 8 year olds smells so badly after games and practices that she has been telling the other parents about our all natural deodorant to encourage it and squelch the stench!
If this sounds familiar and the time is ripe (pun was most definitely intended!) to introduce your child to deodorant, there are lots of facts you need to be aware of.
Here are some facts we want you to know.
1. Not every school ager needs deodorant but definitely no school ager or teenager should be wearing anti-perspirant. As we all know, kids develop at different rates. There might be some kids out there who have begun puberty and are offensively smelly. Deodorant is a good option in this case. But wait until it is needed.
2. Know the difference between deodorant and anti-perspirant. Natural deodorant does not contain aluminum, and be sure to pick one that does not contain synthetic fragrance (phthalates) that disrupt hormones, parabens, sulfates (SLS), petroleum or anything else that you can't pronounce! You want your body to be able to sweat to regulate body temperature and to rid itself of toxins. Deodorant allows this naturally to still happen while eliminating the bacteria that causes odour.
3. It all starts and ends with good hygiene. They must wash their body well with soap and pay special attention to their armpits, private parts, and feet daily. Then apply their deodorant. Wearing fresh clothing each day is also imperative.
4. The armpit is right beside both the breast tissue and lymph nodes. And as girls become teenagers they will start shaving their armpits most likely. You do not want their freshly shaved open pores absorbing chemicals and aluminum straight into their blood stream. Scary!
5. Ok what's the big deal with aluminum anyway? Glad you asked. Aluminum blocks the sweat glands and has been linked in health studies to breast cancers, illnesses and/or Alzheimer's. And when you use "clinical" strength, you could be using upwards of 20% aluminum concentration in your deodorant stick. Yikes! No wonder it causes burning and irritation to the underarms. Imagine what is going on inside the body too?!
6. Children and teens bodies are developing. Treat them with kindness and scrutinize everything they are using ON and INSIDE their bodies to keep them healthy and free of illness. Using products that disrupt their hormones at a young age does not set them up for health and success.
7. We are a culture that is obsessed with looking and smelling pretty. Take a stroll down the deodorant aisle at any pharmacy and the options are endless. A recent survey of over 500 parents revealed that approximately 50% of children ages 4 to 11 are using deodorant by age 11.
Bottom line is we need to provide more education about deodorant and anti-perspirant to everyone, not just teens. If adults are aware and use natural products they are more likely to get their children into healthy habits also.
DON’T BUY INTO THOSE SUPER SMELLY DEODORANTS!
You know what brands I’m talking about. They seem to be the go-to brands for many teen boys. Many of the highly scented deodorants contain synthetic fragrances that are made up of literally hundreds of chemicals. Watch this short video on the risks of using personal care products, especially anti-perspirants that contain chemicals.
In fact, we formulated a naturally scented deodorant (with essential oils) specifically with teenagers in mind that smells like Orange Creamsicle popsicles! Check it out here if you are ready to get your child or teen onto wearing deodorant. p.s. we have won an award for our natural deodorant because it actually works!
To sum up "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly":
Sweat = Good
Odour/Bacteria = Bad
Deodorant = Good
Anti-Perspirant = Bad
Aluminum = UGLY!
Now that you've read this blog, want to know more about Clean Kiss Organics?
We create 100% Natural and Organic, Canadian artisan handcrafted wellness products that are simple and pure for your body, face, hair and home. Our specialties are plant based premium skincare, all natural deodorant (that really does work!), and products to tame and manage naturally curly hair.
We are 100% Vegan, GMO free, Gluten Free (and free of all unnecessary garbage!) and Leaping Bunny Certified (meaning we never test on animals and neither do our suppliers). We also proudly give a portion of our sales to help homeless women and their children to get back on track with housing, education, and financial support and also to help conquer cancer!
Leave a comment
Also in News
Make sure you get your skin ready for your escape well before you start packing your bags! If you are fortunate enough to be escaping the winter weather for warmer and sunnier days this spring, then you must read on for some dry skin treatment tips to keep you safe and gorgeous in the sun from head to toe.
Not only do you need to pack up all of your shorts and bathing suits for upcoming spring break sunny destination getaways you also need to get your face, body and hair (often overlooked!) all ready for every stage of sun exposure.
As an indie natural beauty entrepreneur, I care deeply about sustainability both within my business and personal life. I have been implementing many initiatives to be more sustainable and to educate consumers about the role they play in the environment and the sustainability of the earth. In fact, caring about the environment has been a business value since our inception in 2014 and last year I made it my personal mission to try to switch all of our packaging to a more sustainable option. Find out why you need to start caring more!