You are at home right now every day self-isolating with your family during this COVID-19 pandemic. You are spending endless days with them and have been for the past 8-9 weeks. Along with this close togetherness and quality time of board games, family meals, and cuddling on the couch for tv time, you may also be getting so close and personal that you are noticing that your child or teen doesn't smell so ummm fresh anymore.
And you may also be wondering, does it seem that children are requiring deodorant younger and younger these days? Or are we just more aware of personal hygiene given that we are handwashing and protecting our bodies now due to the pandemic? Is it hormones taking over earlier in their bodies? Either way I am surprised lately by how many parents come to me asking if our natural deodorant is safe for their school ager (as young as age 5!) and for their teenagers.
I actually had a friend tell me last summer that her son's whole soccer team of 8 year olds smells so badly after games and practices that she had been telling the other parents about our all natural deodorant during the game sideline chat, to encourage it and squelch the stench! Don't we all look forward to when sports and other activities for kids can resume safely one day!
If this sounds familiar and the time is ripe (pun was most definitely intended!) to introduce your child to deodorant, there are lots of facts you need to be aware of.
Here are some facts we want you to know about natural deodorant.
1. Not every school ager needs deodorant but definitely no school ager or teenager should be wearing anti-perspirant. As we all know, kids develop at different rates. There might be some kids out there who have begun puberty and are offensively smelly. Deodorant is a good option in this case. But wait until it is needed.
2. Know the difference between deodorant and anti-perspirant. Natural deodorant does not contain aluminum, and be sure to pick one that does not contain synthetic fragrance (phthalates) that disrupt hormones, parabens, sulfates (SLS), petroleum or anything else that you can't pronounce! You want your body to be able to sweat to regulate body temperature and to rid itself of toxins. Deodorant allows this naturally to still happen while eliminating the bacteria that causes odour.
3. It all starts and ends with good hygiene. They must wash their body well with soap and pay special attention to their armpits, private parts, and feet daily. Then apply their deodorant. Wearing fresh clothing each day is also imperative.
4. The armpit is right beside both the breast tissue and lymph nodes. And as girls become teenagers they will start shaving their armpits most likely. You do not want their freshly shaved open pores absorbing chemicals and aluminum straight into their blood stream. Scary!
5. Ok what's the big deal with aluminum anyway? Glad you asked. Aluminum blocks the sweat glands and has been linked in health studies to breast cancers, illnesses and/or Alzheimer's. And when you use "clinical" strength, you could be using upwards of 20% aluminum concentration in your deodorant stick. Yikes! No wonder it causes burning and irritation to the underarms. Imagine what is going on inside the body too?!
6. Children and teens bodies are developing. Treat them with kindness and scrutinize everything they are using ON and INSIDE their bodies to keep them healthy and free of illness. Using products that disrupt their hormones at a young age does not set them up for health and success.
7. We are a culture that is obsessed with looking and smelling pretty. Take a stroll down the deodorant aisle at any pharmacy and the options are endless. A recent survey of over 500 parents revealed that approximately 50% of children ages 4 to 11 are using deodorant by age 11.
Bottom line is we need to provide more education about deodorant and anti-perspirant to everyone, not just teens. If adults are aware and use natural products they are more likely to get their children into healthy habits also.
DON’T BUY INTO THOSE SUPER SMELLY DEODORANTS!
You know what brands I’m talking about. The ones you can smell from a mile away because they are so strong and overused. They seem to be the go-to brands for many teen boys. Many of the highly scented deodorants contain synthetic fragrances that are made up of literally hundreds of chemicals. Watch this short video on the risks of using personal care products, especially anti-perspirants that contain chemicals.
In fact, we formulated a naturally scented deodorant (with essential oils) specifically with teenagers in mind that smells like Orange Creamsicle popsicles! Check it out here if you are ready to get your child or teen onto wearing deodorant. p.s. we have won an award for our natural deodorant because it actually works!
To sum up "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
Sweat = Good
Odour/Bacteria = Bad
Deodorant = Good
Anti-Perspirant = Bad
Aluminum = UGLY!
Want to know more about Clean Kiss?
At Clean Kiss we are passionate about creating Clean at First Sight natural skincare that you can feel good about using yourself, and for your whole family.
From health-conscious, active mamas to women entrepreneurs, our customers love the experience of using our natural products that have up to three times fewer ingredients than our competitors and optimal nourishment for your skin.
Clean Kiss was founded by Family Natural Health Expert, Jodie Pappas, out of her own personal quest to find natural products for herself and her family that ACTUALLY worked. After first creating her signature natural deodorant, she went on to produce a full line of skincare, body and curly hair products.
Our mission is to help women #findyour40 by igniting your senses and helping you live a simpler and cleaner yet more passionate life.
Visit us at cleankisslifestyle.com.