3 Proven Reasons Why You Should Add Face Oils to Your Skincare Ritual
This is a common question that I get asked: why would I want to use oil on my face? With the uprise of facial oils in Western Society, it is a good one to ask for certain. Whether you have oily, acne prone skin or dry skin, you may also be someone wondering about the facial oil hype and whether or not it is the right skincare solution for you. Perhaps it is the magical panacea you have been longing for. On the flip side, I've even had some people have a complete meltdown as an adult when oil touches their face because they still remember being covered in pimples as a teenager just for coming anywhere near oil on their sensitive, hormonal faces.
Here are three reasons that are proven for why you should be considering adding facial oils to your skincare ritual:
1. Facial oils help to balance the sebum levels (oil) in your skin thereby if you are dry they will make you more balanced, and if you are oily, they will make you less so and again, more balanced. If you are a combination skin type then the oil will also help you to balance out your sebum/oil levels. A win, win all around.
2. Facial oils will help to reduce and prevent wrinkles and damage that cause us to prematurely age, caused by dryness and/or lack of oil or moisture. Our skin is made up of about 80% water and therefore we can safely add oils to the mix to allow our skin to have a healthy balance.
3. Facial oils help to prepare our facial skin to receive moisture from other sources such as a daytime or nighttime moisturizer. What do I mean by that? Well quite simply if you use an oil based serum to prep and prime your skin before your daytime moisturizer, you will help to retain more moisture and also need less moisturizer because your skin is already primed and ready.
Then comes the question of what is the difference between different facial oil products. For example, there are facial oil cleansers and also facial oil serums to name two that I am particularly in love with for my daily oily skincare ritual (yes, I have oily skin and couldn't live without facial oil! I am talking life altering in terms of the condition of my skin and adult acne breakouts).
Facial oil cleansers use oil to draw out the dirt, impurities, remove makeup and to leave your skin feeling moisturized instead of squeaky clean after washing. You will still feel clean, trust me on this, however you won't feel stripped of moisture. In fact, my adult hormonal acne, as characterized by jawline, neck and chin acne, completely went away after I started using an oil based cleanser every night. Not only do I have clear skin but I also have great wrinkle protection and a very dirty washcloth when I am done cleansing every night. #proof
Facial oil serums are meant to be left on the skin and gently massaged into the face, neck and décolleté areas. I love using my serum with my rose quartz massage roller to really give myself a self-loving facial massage and to also help the facial oil serum to penetrate better. I use it day and night and even under makeup for my oily-prone skin.
What type of facial oils should you look for? I only use plant based, natural skincare ingredients in my skincare ritual. Let's take a look at Chia Seed Oil in particular today. I love chia seed oil, not only for the adorable chia pets we grew up with but also because the oil from the seeds is very moisturizing, particularly for people with eczema and other very dry skin conditions.
Benefits of chia seed oil:
- Chia seed oil is able to significantly increase skin hydration and skin barrier function while also reducing trans-epidermal water loss. As a bonus, its moisturizing effects are also anti-aging, in that well-moisturized skin is less likely to develop fine lines and deeper wrinkles.
- Chia seed oil is lightweight and absorbs easily. It strengthens the skin barrier, which naturally weakens as we age, leaving skin prone to wrinkling and sagging.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which chia seed oil is chock full of, can prevent weakening of the skin by reinforcing the epidermis.
- It quells inflammation and itchiness. Chia seed oil has been shown to improve chronically itchy and cracked skin thanks to its content of essential fatty acids that help reduce the inflammatory response. This is especially beneficial in cold-weather situations when the skin is more likely to become dry and irritated.
- Helps Combat UV Damage and Dark Spots. UV rays are the largest source of free radical damage to your skin, which manifests as fine lines, creepiness and dark spots.
So there you have it folks. For all these reasons we use chia seed oil in our all natural facial cleansing oil, Kiss Me Clean. It works its wonders to remove all your makeup and dirt and to deep cleanse your face at night, without stripping it of essential oils. You will feel both cleansed and moisturized at the same time.
If you haven't yet introduced any facial oils into your skincare ritual, I highly recommend you overcome your fears and embrace the oil. In fact, in Eastern cultures women have been using plant based oils abundantly for thousands of years. And their gorgeous, youthful complexions certainly show it.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT CLEAN KISS?
At Clean Kiss we are passionate about creating natural skincare and body products that you can feel good about using yourself, and for your whole family.
From health-conscious, active mamas, to busy teenagers and dads, our customers love the experience of using our freshly-scented products that not only leave your skin feeling amazing, but ACTUALLY work.
Clean Kiss was founded by Family Natural Health Expert, Jodie Pappas, out of her own personal quest to find natural products for herself and her family that ACTUALLY worked. After first creating her signature natural deodorant, she went on to produce a full line of skincare and body products.
Each product is created in small batches using chemical-free formulations that have been recognized with several awards, has developed a loyal customer base of Clean Kissers, and has gained some international media attention by Business Insider, InStyle Magazine, The Toronto Sun, Breakfast TV Toronto, CHCH Hamilton, Global TV and more!
Leave a comment
Also in News
Face feeling tired and dull? Lacklustre? Dry? Just open your fridge and pantry to find the answers to mix up into a custom face mask to restore your glowing complexion.
Face masks are one of my favourite skin care products, especially when you want an instant glow for the holidays or special occasions. They’re easy to apply, fun to use and are great at delivering results often after one or two weekly applications. My favourite thing about applying a good face mask is the feeling of tightened and toned skin after a single use.